According to the National Institutes of Health, roughly 30 percent of the general population experiences sleep disruption. From nocturnal (nighttime) leg cramps and symptoms of restless legs syndrome (RLS) to insomnia and sleep apnea, there are a number of factors that may affect our quality and quantity of sleep.
In this article, we will offer sleeping tips you can try as soon as tonight—though if you continually experience sleep deprivation, be sure to talk to your doctor.
- Avoid getting upset about being awake. Easier said than done, right? But, you will fall asleep eventually. Try to enjoy these minutes before sleep as quiet, “me” time.
- Distract yourself with happy thoughts, like your favorite vacation.
- Get up. If you can’t fall asleep within 30 minutes, get out of bed and go read in another room, or find another non-screen activity to relax you.
- Optimize your atmosphere. Invest in blackout curtains, white noise machines and ear plugs. If your mattress or pillows are old and/or uncomfortable, replace them. (Check out these lists of the best mattresses and pillows in 2020.)
- Practice good sleep hygiene. Take a warm shower before bed, do a gentle 15-minute yoga routine, and wind down without screens.
- Set a schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Nap—yes, you can nap during the day! But, set an alarm for 10–20 minutes, so you can still fall asleep at night.
- Exercise. In addition to a wealth of physical health benefits, working out reduces stress levels and anxiety. Just make sure you exercise at least three hours before bed time.
- Track your sleep with a smartphone app. Apps like SleepScore and Sleep Cycle can identify factors that may be helping or hurting your chances of getting a good night’s rest. (And, you can bring the info to your doctor, if you decide to see one.)
- Most importantly, treat the underlying issue. If leg cramps or RLS symptoms wake or keep you up at night, apply Theraworx Relief for Muscle Cramps and Spasms. Our foam is fast-acting and, with twice daily application, can even help prevent muscle cramps and spasms. Learn more about our topical products and their benefits on our website, and order the best option for you for convenient delivery.