You don’t have to spend hours at the gym to get the health benefits of physical activity. Walking is one of the best exercises we can do to improve our overall well-being, increase our longevity and stay active as we age. Additionally, walking has one of the lowest injury rates of any form of exercise.
Before you hit the trail or treadmill, check out just a handful of possible health perks.
- Lose weight. When done right, walking for weight loss can be more effective in helping you slim down than strenuous exercises like running!
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
- Boost immune function. One study showed that those who walked at a moderate pace for 30-45 minutes a day had 43% fewer sick days.
- Lower stress and improve mood. Exercise, including walking, releases feel-good chemicals like endorphins.
- Get more energy. Need an afternoon pick-me-up? A walk may be more effective than a cup of coffee.
- Improve memory and cognitive function. A study of 65 and older women found that age-related memory decline was lower in those who walked more. Another study of men, ages 71–93, found that walking reduced the incidence of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Strengthen muscles. Walking works your leg and abdominal muscles, increases your range of motion and lessens the pressure on your joints.
- Support joints. Research shows that walking for at least 10 minutes a day—or about an hour every week—can stave off disability and arthritis pain in older adults.
How Theraworx Relief Can Help
If you experience leg cramps or knee pain during physical activity, Theraworx Relief can help. Apply Theraworx Relief for Muscle Cramps and Spasms and/or Theraworx Relief for Joint Discomfort and Inflammation before and after physical activity. Learn more about our proven topical solutions and where you can find them at a store near you.